Makes 1 medium loaf
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour (buckwheat flour work well, too)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup almond, rice, or soy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 very ripe medium bananas (they should have brown spots), mashed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas until relatively pureed. To the bananas, add the remainder of the ingredients. Stir until evenly combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Fold until combined. The mixture should be a thick batter but still able to be poured.
- Pour into a greased bread pan and cook in the oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Enjoy warm or cool, and spread with a bit of butter or jam for an even sweeter treat.
Environment: Buy local bananas or organic products whenever possible.
Student: Baking ingredients are relatively cheap and come in bulk so you can use them for other meals. There is a quick cook time, extra loaves can be frozen and this will give you a snack for a week.
Health: Whole wheat flour, and any of the given options of milk are healthier choices for you.